Pages

Monday 25 July 2011

SHORTNESS OF BREATH (DYSPNEA)


Shortness of breath is an unpleasant subjective awareness of the sensation of breathing. Patient usually feels discomfort either from increased ventilatory drive or reduced ventilatory capacity.
Increased ventilatory drive causing increased respiratory rate occurs in:
  • Fever
  • Exercise
  • Acidemia: ketoacidosis, lactic acidosis, uremia
  • Hypoxia: asthma, COPD, cyanotic heart diseases.
  • Hypercarbia: COPD
Reduced ventilatory capacity occurs in:
  • Reduced lung volume in pneumonia, pulmonary edema and interstitial lung disease
  • Pleural pain
  • Increased resistance to airflow in asthma, COPD, laryngeal obstruction.
PATIENT EVALUATION
History
  • Ask about cardiac and respiratory risk factors such as:
    • Diabetes, hypertension, smoking for heart disease
    • Asthma, COPD and tuberculosis for respiratory disease
    • Renal disease for uremia
    • Medication for lactic acidosis
  • History of previous similar episodes and their diagnosis
  • Associated features such as palpitation, syncope, chest pain, nausea, vomiting and sweating are cardiac manifestations while cough, chest pain related to breathing, sputum are features of respiratory disease and low urine output and anemia indicate renal disease.
  • In acute, dyspnea, rule out cardiac failure, heart block, MI, angina, pulmonary embolism, pneumothorax and laryngeal edema.
  • Chronic dyspnea is progressive i-e patient’s working capacity gradually decrease. Chronic episodic dyspnea occurs in asthma, heart failure, acute or chronic bronchitis and recurrent pulmonary embolism. Chronic constant dyspnea occurs in COPD, pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension.
Examination
Quick and relevant examination related to cardiac disease such as pulse showing tachycardia, bradycardia, irregular pulse, displaced apex beat, murmurs and basal crepts.
Respiratory examination such as rapid respiratory rate, abnormal percussion note, wheeze, crepts or pleural rub.
Investigations
ECG, chest X-ray, ABGs, RBS, urea and creatinine are usually enough for diagnosis.

23 comments:

  1. Arelhope.com is the rehabilitation treatment center of alcohol and meth addiction. AREL HOPE approach is holistic - addressing the physical, mental, emotional, interpersonal and spiritual.meth Treatment, Alcohol Abuse Treatment, Alcohol Detox. http://www.arelhope.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative post. I inspired from your article that too much exercise may be a cause of increased ventilatory drive. Sometime i am feeling discomfort after exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. person with anemia are more exposed for this specially when they do exercise. They must avoid exercise and should rely on healthy walk and healthy diet to avoid obesity.


    be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. trans fats and health
    You must use simple language and should not use abbreviations without full form please we are not related to medical i could not get what COPD stands for .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog always create some informational and amazing things, which add in my knowledge and experience.But I am a bit confuse. Thanks for sharing.Waiting for next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Blog is so nice and really informative.thanks for sharing with us.

    full knee replacement

    ReplyDelete
  7. I inspired from your article,i want to give more attention for my health.so its valuable for me...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the next few paragraphs. It is my opinion you add a considerable amount of energy to build this particular post. I really thank you for get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, just wanted to say that this was a very well written post and I enjoyed reading it. It's great to see someone sharing interesting information on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your informating blog. I have it in my rss reader and always like new things coming uo from it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and experience. So nice!
    I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!

    ReplyDelete
  12. simply become alart to your blog through google better post , keep it up!like to read

    ReplyDelete
  13. Informative, nice website! i m enjoing realy.Awesome web! I will keep an on eye on your blog.Hi there, just was aware of your weblog thru Google,nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This disease is really a dangerous one.As it causes several problems in taking the breath of that persons.It is hardly seen to happen with people but if anyone fall in this then it will be too tough to save him at tat moment.



    Camera

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and
    experience. So nice!
    I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have studied your site fully and I realized that, it is the most beneficial for us. I want to take more information through this site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent sharing.I did get lots of good points from here. Thank you for this useful information. It will really help.
    Advanced Male Medical Center

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got good points there, that's why I always love your site, it seems that you are an expert in this field. keep up the fantastic work, My friend recommends your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never know about this topic. It’s really interesting to read.. I like this blog to know about new things. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and experience. So nice!
    I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is nice post.I am impressed from this post.Can you more share at here.I will be back as soon.



    Thanks for more info.......






    Pure Argan Oil

    ReplyDelete